Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday, June 21, 2013

Going Home.

Big Air Jim and I ran into Handre and Lazelle early in the morning at Bette's.  They were having a quick "Breakfast" before heading home.  Turns out these two "super fit" athletes don't have the rigorous healthy diet that we thought they did.....
Cinnamon buns for breakfast...
Most everyone met at Dog River for the usual morning Coffee and discussions.  There was considerable discussion about the possible routes home will all the flooding in Southern Alberta.
Watching videos of the Southern Alberta flooding.
The forecast is for light winds in the central Gorge, building by mid day to sailable conditions.  I think the majority of the group were planning to go sailing - and then start the journey home late in the day, or possibly the next morning.  We all decided to meet at the Hatchery.

Mike - Entertaining everyone at Dog River

I happened to notice that Rene was at Big Winds.  When I went in to see what was going on - there he was buying a new board.  After a great day on it yesterday, he just couldn't wait until fall.  Hey if you are so comfortable on a board that you are jumping it in the swell at Roosevelt - then what can I say - you have to have it!!  Way to go Rene!
Rene's new board!
I got to the Hatchery at about noon.  There was some wind, but not enough for me to be consistently planing.  Mike was heading out, and Kent was starting to rig, but I decided that I would rather get a head start on the trip home than to sit around and wait for the possibility of some wind.  I said my good bye's and headed home.  Made it to Cranbrook.  Kent and Rene arrived at the same hotel about an hour after I did.

I got an email from Allan late tonight.  When I had purchased my new boom, I gave my old one to Allan.  (Big Air Jim had given it to me - so I figured I would pass it on.)  Apparently he tried it out today - did one reach across the river, got catapulted, hear a loud crack and lost half the boom.  Fortunately the remainder held together long enough for him to sail home.  Sorry Allan - I am very glad I didn't charge you anything for it - and also very glad you made it back OK.

I am sure there will be lots of stories about the great sailing sessions I missed today and tomorrow.  Oh well.  If you send them to me, I will post them - even if I don't believe them.

Looking forward to September!

Ted


No comments:

Post a Comment